How attune are you to the momentum of your life? This week's video will help you start build and maintain momentum to enjoy and accomplish ever-increasing excellence.
WATCH THE VIDEO.
READ THE TRANSCRIPT.
How do you get moving, make things happen, and sustain your progress over time? This week we're in Orlando, maintaining momentum.
Momentum refers to a quantity of motion and the impetus gained by a moving object. For us, momentum is the ability to move yourself and your initiatives forward. Motion creates the impetus to keep moving, and for this reason the momentum of my life, my body, and my business always has my attention, above even any particular goal.
Overcoming inertia, the tendency to do nothing or remain unchanged, takes effort. And to start something or radically change course requires a specific sort of action. So, here are five tips to start, build, and sustain your personal momentum.
1. First Steps. If you're starting a journey, the length of the first stride is irrelevant. But the direction is extremely important. Deeply contemplate where and why you're going, and when truly ready, commit with a small, decisive first step.
2. Don't Delay. Wait too long after your first step, and you're once again at rest, starting over. The first step requires another. And another after that.
3. Find your Rhythm. Seek to discover a rhythm, a frequency of motion: creative habits, daily disciplines, regular appointments with yourself and others. Like the chugging of a train, the humming of a motor, or the ticking of a clock, momentum finds a rhythmic groove, which it's up to you to maintain.
4. Check your Course. Now that you are in motion, you can make adjustments to your heading. Do you like the results you're getting, or do you need to make a slight turn? You can fine tune your direction and approach while maintaining momentum, rather than just slamming on the brakes.
5. Constant Climb. Rather than worrying about life's ups and downs, resolve that you are always on a slight, steady incline. You're always adding a bit more effort than required, seeking higher elevation, and refining your approach and efficiency. With this mindset, you'll be able to take advantage of opportunities, and are already attune when the steep hills arrive.
So when you feel stopped, remember you're just one step away from purposeful motion. And when things feel easy, don't take that for granted. Continue to add intentional, rhythmic energy to the force of your life, ever aware of your precious momentum. Until next week, start moving and keep moving, Off Balance On Purpose.
The audio for this week's coaching video is located under the "Get Inspired" tab in the Positive Playlist . You can subscribe to the podcast and listen to other weekly messages for improving all aspects of your life.
Want Dan Thurmon for your next event?
Find out more information, including fees and availability.Find Out More
When you consider the characters of your life story - family, friends, colleagues -are you content your relationships? Have you learned, said, and resolved the big stuff? Do you notice and appreciate the "little things?" This week's video provides five suggestions to improve your relationships and multiply your positive influence! WATCH THE VIDE...Read More
Confidence can be cultivated through consistent growth and the acknowledgement of accomplishment. This week’s video will help you align the excellence inside you to better meet the challenges in front of you. WATCH THE VIDEO. READ THE TRANSCRIPT. Do you identify as a person who rises to meet the moment? Or a someone who falls short, backs out...Read More
Social encounters can be overwhelming, and many of us are out of practice! This week's video helps you master the skills to reduce social anxiousness and elevate all of your interactions. WATCH THE VIDEO. READ THE TRANSCRIPT. Interacting with other humans can transform your life. Yet for many, even simple encounters can be overwhelming. Let’s t...Read More
How do you know whether thinking or feelings are driving you? And what will you do as a result? This week's video breaks down motivations and next steps. WATCH THE VIDEO. READ THE TRANSCRIPT. Today's question comes from Jay Emma who asks, "What is the difference between thinking and feeling - and how do you distinguish which of the two is reall...Read More
Are you fooling yourself, wasting time, and forestalling the inevitable? This week's video will help you dismantle your self deceptions to experience greater freedom, happiness, and success! WATCH THE VIDEO. READ THE TRANSCRIPT. Are you deceiving yourself without even knowing it? This week we're Off Balance On Purpose facing the facts. What ar...Read More
Whether overcoming a challenge or celebrating a cherished life, the unfinished leaves you unfulfilled. This week we're Off Balance On Purpose committed to completion. Shay, Eddie, Maggie and I are driving this week to McAlester, OK, to memorialize and celebrate the life of Martha June Whitlock, my mother in law. If you've been following me fo...Read More
Your contributions don't have to be limited by your abilities and time. This week's video provides a "personal rule" that will help you be a better leader and more productive person. WATCH THE VIDEO. READ THE TRANSCRIPT. What's the key to a life of consistent contribution? Don't wait on me. You can do it all on your own, which has its rewards...Read More
Your life, and your experience of living are byproducts of your beliefs. This week's video will help you examine, understand and upgrade your beliefs to enable greater fulfillment and better results. WATCH THE VIDEO. READ THE TRANSCRIPT. What you believe creates your reality and the level at which you live. To go further, you may need to go bey...Read More
If you want to truly understand your gifts, hone your process, and contribute consistently better work, it's time for a "creative commitment." This week's video will help you find and elevate what's inside you! WATCH THE VIDEO. READ THE TRANSCRIPT. How do you find the insight and art that's inside you? This week we're keeping creative commitmen...Read More
How attune are you to the momentum of your life? This week's video will help you start build and maintain momentum to enjoy and accomplish ever-increasing excellence. WATCH THE VIDEO. READ THE TRANSCRIPT. How do you get moving, make things happen, and sustain your progress over time? This week we're in Orlando, maintaining momentum. Momentum r...Read More