It's that time of year again, the beginning! Why not start yours by making the following resolution?
In 2019 I will do (at least) one thing every day to promote my writing.
I realize that marketing is a foreign language to many authors, and even those who are familiar with it don't usually enjoy it. But if you want people who aren't your friends and family to buy your work, it's something you simply have to do.
Here are some suggestions, some broad and some granular, that should get you going:
- Create or update your Amazon author page (via Author Central)
- Craft or update a short, compelling bio
- Create or update a snappy description of your book
- Check all of the above for grammatical errors
- Update your headshot
- Create or update your website
- Create a Goodreads profile
- Insert a hyperlink to your Amazon page or website in your email signature
- Send a signed book to your college alumni magazine
- Research local alumni chapters of your alma mater and reach out to them--many have monthly newsletters
- Go to www.meetup.com and research book clubs near you -- then offer to attend the meeting if they choose your book
- Put a few copies of your book in the trunk of your car -- you never know when you'll need them
Asking, "How do I market a book?" is kind of like asking, "How long is a ball of string?" How much effort to put in is up to you, but over time hard work and persistence will pay off. You just have to keep at it and try to keep a positive attitude. Remember, you wrote a book! That's an incredible accomplishment in and of itself.
Happy New Year!