In the passion of the civil rights campaigns of 1964 and 1965, Jonathan Kozol gave up the prospect of a promising and secure career within the academic world, moved from Harvard Square into a poor black neighborhood of Boston, and became a fourth grade teacher.
He has since devoted nearly his entire life to the challenge of providing equal opportunity within our public schools to ... VIEW MORE
Joy and Justice: The Hearts of Children and the Dignity of Teachers in an Age of Punitive and Relentless Testing.
The testing mania has introduced anxiety and anguish to far too many of the schools that serve our poorest children ... View More
“Fire in the Ashes: Awakening the Spark of Motivation among Students in Low-Income Schools”
This keynote addresses the race gap and successful methods for preventing kids from dropping out before graduation.
The Shame of the Nation: Race, Poverty, and the Corporate Invasion of our Public Schools
The sweeping resegregation of black and Latino children in our urban schools betrays the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther ... View More
The Widening Gulf: Can We Reverse the Savage Inequalities of Our Public Schools?
The inherently unequal way we fund our public schools ought to be a national embarrassment. Mr. Kozol describes the ... View More
- That's the first time I have seen Garrison Theater overflow like that, and the first time I have seen such a certain standing ovation. I was so honored to be the one to introduce you and your talk.
- Bernice Villela - Claremont College
- On behalf of the Washington Trustees Association, thank you so much for joining us at our Winter Conference. Thank you for traveling "out west" to join us and I hope you enjoyed your time in Washington and best wishes to you.
- Debbie Lisser - TATC President
- I believe you spoke here some years ago, and your message in October was as compelling as ever. . . . I decided to return to the ATS lobby where the line was still long. You were spending time with the next generation of teachers as it should be.
- R. Russell Shunk - Executive Vice President - Dickinson College