Do you find it difficult to ask for and accept help? In just over two minutes, this video delivers five reasons people resist asking for help, and five keys to getting past them - so you can ask for, and receive, the help you need.
WATCH THE VIDEO.
LISTEN TO THE AUDIO.
READ THE TRANSCRIPT.
Do you find it difficult to ask for and accept help? This week we're Off Balance on Purpose in Palm Beach, Florida.
Asking for help is one of my big challenges. And limitations. Perhaps you've experienced this too, for one of these five common reasons:
1. You don't want to admit that you're struggling, or can't do it yourself.
2. You hate imposing on someone else.
3. You think that if you get help, you'll have to reciprocate.
4. You're unsure of exactly what, or who, to ask.
5. Asking for help would commit you to a path, and you're not sure you're ready.
In short, this is a complicated area, but the challenge is very real. And again, it's my challenge, as well. So here are five keys to ask intelligently for the help that we need.
1. Question the question. Determine one specific question you hope to answer. Don't just dump your whole situation on someone and hope they’ll figure it out. That's not fair.
2. Ask the expert. Be sure the person you're asking has relevant experience. Sometimes people ask help from someone who currently shares their challenge, which means they would rather have understanding than real answers.
3. Respect boundaries. Start simple. Be sensitive to time. Elaborate if, and when, your advisor invites a deeper dialogue.
4. Implement and report. People love to help those who act. When you implement, you earn respect, and show that you value the input.
5. Pay it forward. Getting help creates an imbalance, and the temptation is to reciprocate. But the better way to honor your advisor, perhaps, is to help someone else who needs what you can offer.
Excellent answers lead to more questions. Some you can figure out on your own. And sometimes it's better to ask someone with experience. But don't expect anyone to do the work for you. Because when it comes to your improvement, no one is more invested than you. Until next week, stay Off Balance on Purpose.
Want Dan Thurmon for your next event?
Find out more information, including fees and availability.Find Out More
Do you find it difficult to ask for and accept help? In just over two minutes, this video delivers five reasons people resist asking for help, and five keys to getting past them - so you can ask for, and receive, the help you need. WATCH THE VIDEO. LISTEN TO THE AUDIO. https://danthurmon.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Asking-for-He...Read More
Exactly when does an explanation become an excuse? And how do you get past it? WATCH THE VIDEO. LISTEN TO THE AUDIO. https://danthurmon.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Excuses-Excused.mp3 READ THE TRANSCRIPT. Exactly when does an explanation become an excuse? And how do you get past it? This week we're Off Balance On Purpose in Phoenix. ...Read More
Do you ever doubt you're good enough or even qualified for the responsibilities you face? If so, you may be experiencing "Imposter Syndrome." This short video (2.5 minutes) will help you get past these limiting thoughts in just three simple steps. WATCH THE VIDEO. LISTEN TO THE AUDIO. https://danthurmon.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Imp...Read More
Are you using your "secret weapon" to increase your confidence and influence others? It's almost guaranteed to improve your situation and you already have it in your possession. You just might not be using it strategically. WATCH THE VIDEO. LISTEN TO THE AUDIO. https://danthurmon.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Your-Secre...Read More
How do you recognize and defeat your own "worst enemy?" This short video will shed light on those questions and deliver a three step process to inner victory. WATCH THE VIDEO. LISTEN TO THE AUDIO. https://danthurmon.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Your-Worst-Enemy_1.mp3 READ THE TRANSCRIPT. How do you recognize and defeat y...Read More
When I say success, what do you think of? What may come to mind are all the qualities, conditions, and circumstances that you'd like to have, but don't. In actuality, you embody right now a track record of success you can leverage. WATCH THE VIDEO. LISTEN TO THE AUDIO. https://danthurmon.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Instant-Su...Read More
Did you know that your physical and mental posture play vital roles for your success? This week’s video will help you better embody the success you wish to consistently create. WATCH THE VIDEO. LISTEN TO THE AUDIO. https://danthurmon.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Posturing-for-Success.mp3 READ THE TRANSCRIPT. Did you know that your...Read More
How do you consistently make solid progress instead of sliding back to old habits or standards? The answer lies in the third show. WATCH THE VIDEO. LISTEN TO THE AUDIO. https://danthurmon.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Three-Shows.mp3 READ THE TRANSCRIPT. How do you consistently make progress instead of slidi...Read More
In a world that demands immediate answers and absolute certainty, there is tremendous power and potential in resisting the urge (and urgency) to follow suit. This week's short video will help you to own what you don't know, ask better questions, and allow the right answers to surface. WATCH THE VIDEO. LISTEN TO THE AUDIO. ...Read More
When facing a choice, sometimes you need all the facts, and other times, it pays to trust your gut. It's more scientific than you might think, and this three-minute video will give you five steps to hone and utilize the power of your intuition. WATCH THE VIDEO. LISTEN TO THE AUDIO. http://danthurmon.com/wp-content/up...Read More